The Workers’ Party have welcomed the High Court today (Wednesday) that there had been an unreasonable delay on
the part of the government in holding the Donegal South West by-election.
Waterford Workers Party Councillor Davy Walsh said that the government was running scared of the people and had attempted
to set aside the democratic process of filling casual vacancies in the Dáil.
Cllr Walsh called on the government to immediately move the writ for the three long-standing vacancies and not merely
act on the vacancy referred in the High Court judgement. He also said the ruling
should now prompt the enactment of legislation to ensure that by-elections would be automatically triggered no more than three
months after a vacancy arises.
“There is no reason why casual vacancies to the Dáil cannot be filled quickly.
While the government has stalled on the filling of three vacant Dáil seats the Taoiseach took a mere 10 days to fill
Deirdre De Burca’s Seanad seat when she resigned last February. The
only substantial difference was that, since Ms. De Burca was a Taoiseach’s nominee to the Seanad, her replacement didn’t
involve holding a by-election. Clearly the government were acting to preserve their majority and their hold on power, not
in the interests of democracy”, said Cllr. Walsh.
Issued 3rd November 2010